FAQs - Jizoo
Go to top
Frequently Asked Questions
What checks do you perform?

We provide full background checks and assess all Au Pairs suitability for the program. They need to have a good level of English, excellent communication skills and a natural love of children. We have an extensive application process for Au Pairs which includes visa checks, police checks, working with children checks, drivers licence checks, character and work experience references and medical insurance checks.

Can Au Pairs Drive?

Most of our Au Pairs can drive. We recommend if you require an Au Pair to drive, that you get them a couple of driving lessons and take them out to practice so you are comfortable with them driving your children. Remember Au Pairs from Europe typically drive on the right hand side of the road so its always a good idea to get some practice in driving on the other side and going round roundabouts in the opposite directions! Also it's important to ensure they are added to your car insurance policy.

What if my Au Pair gets sick?

All Au Pairs have Medical and Repatriation insurance, however reasonable expectation would be that you pay your Au Pair if she is sick for a few days and give her time to recover.

How are you different to other agencies?

All our Au Pairs are trained in Children’s First Aid and CPR in Australia and have completed an Au Pair Training Program (if they haven't Au Paired before). We also do not charge any upfront fees and ensure you remain in control at all times – you choose the Au Pair that best fits your family and you decide on the pocket money to reflect the role. And we offer full support over the duration of the placement.

Why should I use an agency?

By using an agency, you can ensure your Au Pairs are fully screened, and have peace of mind that you will have ongoing support during the placement. Taking away all the time consuming aspects of Au Pair searching and screening, frees up your time to focus on other important things.

Where do you get Au Pairs from?

We recruit Au Pairs from all over the world and many already have Au Pairing experience in Australia.

Do I need to pay tax and super?

We recommend you seek independent advice from your accountant or the ATO on your requirements to withhold tax for your Au Pairs.

What age are Au Pairs?

Au Pairs are typically between the age of 18-24 but some can be up to 30 years of age. Most are female but we also source ‘bro Au Pairs’ which sometimes appeal to families with all boys.

Can I choose the nationality of the Au Pair?

If you have a specific nationality you would prefer, you can specify this in your application form.

How long can my Au Pair stay?

Au Pairs typically stay for 6 months, however we also place shorter term Au Pairs. You can also apply to immigration to have an Au Pair stay for up to 12 months if required.

Can my Au Pair look after my child if he/she is sick?

Of course! This is one of the many benefits of having an Au Pair. If your child is very unwell we wouldn’t recommend she has sole care of your child. Also we would only recommend your Au Pair administers medicine if you have fully trained them on how to do this.

Are Au Pairs trained?

Au Pairs are not qualified nannies. However, all our Au Pairs (for 6 month placements) complete our Au Pair Training Program which covers many aspects of childcare. All our Au Pairs are also trained in children’s First Aid and CPR before they start with your family.

What level of childcare experience do Au Pairs have?

Our Gold level Au Pairs have basic childcare experience and our Platinum level Au Pairs have either advanced childcare experience or a childcare qualification or previous experience in working as an Au Pair.

How many hours a week can my Au Pair work?

Au Pairs typically work between 25 and 35 hours a week. And they should not work longer than 10 hours a day. They should also be given 2 days off a week (ideally weekends).

What if there is a problem with the Au Pair during the placement?

We are here to help you if there are any concerns. We always recommend open communication with your Au Pair and being upfront about any concerns.

My children are anxious about the Au Pair arriving – what should I do?

We have many tips in our Hosting Guide on how to prepare your children for the arrival of an Au Pair. From getting them to create a welcome sign to learning a phrase in the Au Pair's language – the key is to getting them excited about her arrival!

Do I need a household manual?

We recommend creating a household manual and we will provide you with a template to edit. The Manual is a great way of documenting all the routines of your household and ensures everyone is one the same page.

Can my Au Pair do babysitting?

Yes, this is one of the many benefits of having an Au Pair – you can go on date nights knowing your children are with a familiar person who they trust. You may also want to help your Au Pair earn extra money by suggesting to your friends she is available for babysitting – just make sure you get first dibs!

What can I do to help my Au Pair make friends?

Sometimes your Au Pair can feel quite homesick over the first few weeks but it doesn’t take them long to adjust to life in Australia and make new friends. You can help by putting them in touch with other Au Pairs in the area or get them to join a local club or Au Pair facebook page. We also run monthly meet and greets to help them make new friends.

Will my children be in safe hands?

We treat the safety of your children as paramount. This is why all our Au Pairs undertake First Aid and Children’s CPR in Australia and complete an Au Pair Training course (if they haven't Au paired before) which covers many aspects of child safety.

Do I need to take out any insurances?

Depending on which state you live in you may need to take out domestic workers insurance, and of course if your Au Pair is driving, they will needed to be added to your car insurance policy.

How do I pay the Au pair?

You pay the Au Pair directly into their nominated bank account. They should be paid weekly in lieu.

What additional costs do I need to factor in when hosting an Au Pair?

As well as the weekly pocket money you should factor in additional costs such as car insurance and domestic household insurance (if applicable) as well as slight increase on your grocery costs and utilities and petrol.

We are going on family holiday – do I need to take my Au Pair with me?

If you are going on a family holiday, you do not need to take your Au pair with you, however, this may be something you would like to do. Perhaps you would like them to stay at home to house/pet sit, or maybe you think it would be more relaxing if they came with you to help with the children – it's entirely up to you.

Do I need to buy separate food for my Au Pair?

Usually the Au Pair would eat the same food as the family although there may be specific items you buy for her within reason.

Should I set a curfew for my Au pair?

All our Au Pairs are sensible girls so we do not recommend setting a curfew. We recommend you suggest to them that they ensure they are back at a reasonable time during the week if they are looking after your children the next day and save the late nights to the weekend.

I’m worried about having a stranger living in my house!

The thought of having someone new coming to live with you can be daunting but it's not long before they feel like a member of your family so don’t worry. And remember, Au Pairs usually like to spend a lot of their free time exploring the area and meeting new friends so they won't be with you 24/7.

How much pocket money should I pay?

We think the level of pocket money should reflect the number of hours required, requirements of the role and experience of the Au Pair. Typically pocket money can vary from $210 to $330 plus a week – please contact us for more guidance on this.

Can the Au Pair have sole care of children?

Yes, depending on the ages. We would only place a Platinum level Au Pair for a role that required sole care of children under 2 or for sole care of 3 more more children.

Do I pay for my Au Pairs Flights?

No, it’s the Au Pairs responsibility to pay for flights, visa and medical insurances and working with children check.